Sunday, October 21, 2007

Intellectualizing It

While it is clear to me that my dear little Chanties will take care of the nicotine addition as well as anything can, what about the psychological? As stated in a previous post, "Get Quit" is not helping. I guarantee it was developed by people who never smoked a day in their lives.

So, again to the Internet. I am not happy unless I have read every damn thing I can about whatever my current obsession is - alas! "Chantix, the Magazine" is still just a gleam in some publisher's eye. There are, however, at least 10 billion books about quitting smoking.

So I spent an hour or two deciding which one to spend my Hard Earned Money on and came up with "The Easy Way to Quit Smoking" by Allen Carr. Armed with a 20% off coupon, I trotted to Borders. This is the first time I have ever entered the "Self Help" of any bookstore. I just am so not a new-agey kind of gal. And I mean so not! However, ignoring the obvious question of "It's so damn easy how come it's so damn hard to quit?", I bought the book.

I have read the first three chapters - mainly all about Mr. Carr and how wonderful he is. (He actually compares himself to Sister Kenny - a great movie, by the way, if you have never seen it!) It would give me great pleasure to agree with him but he has yet to get to discuss anything but himself. About a year ago the poor man did die of lung cancer, however. That could be attributed to the 100 (!!) fags a day he smoked before he developed his "Easy Way". So I am determined to give him the benefit of a doubt and continue reading. Stay tuned...

No comments: